Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Through Expat Artist Eyes

In the beginning...( now there's an idea!)... an introduction...
Dubai Creek, Deira

As I said this expat blog has been a long time coming. I have had many conversations round n' round with myself, ideas and observations over the years that I had intended to relay as my journey in to expat life unfolded. I had come to this new way of life in my post 40's  and at first struggled with such a very different way of life, surroundings and culture. After growing up on a dairy farm in coastal southern Australia, with the majority of my adult years spent in art studios in inner Melbourne, I was now living in The Middle East, at first Abu Dhabi and now Dubai.
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi


 This was a world away from what I knew, what was familiar to me. At first I was  a little out of my depth. I didn't know about 'expat life' and the things I could do to help myself adjust to this crazy new life. Five years on and I now have a far better understanding of what it takes to move to a new country and adjust and find your way, and ways of coping and surviving which can eventually lead to getting used to the whole idea and even liking it after a while!
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi


I have met many reluctant expat wives along the way and I have been in that category myself more than a few times, however I am now coming to see this is how my life is now... we live overseas...with time I have become used to it... but it wasn't always like this... and it never is. There is a rise and fall of acceptance, enjoyment and familiarity with the new life and a longing and homesickness and nostalgia for all things 'home', for me that is Australia.


As a full time professional artist I am traveling constantly with my camera, looking, seeing, observing, taking it all in, my eyes noticing everything... searching and scouring my new surroundings, the environment and its people. Along the way I am also continuing my art practice, painting each day, working on a solo exhibition each year to be freighted back to my galleries in Australia and in time maybe also to exhibit in our new surroundings.
installation of my 2008 solo exhibition Tim Olsen Gallery Sydney

1 comment: